There are 3 ways to add references to Endnote Online.
1. Type the information in manually.
2. Import the data from a library database such as PsycInfo or Proquest Central. (See the tab on Importing References)
3. Do an Online Search in a library catalog such as Lesley U. or Library of Congress. (See the tab on Online Search)
Add a Reference Manually
1. Open Endnote Online.Choose the Collecttab and click New Reference.
2. Choose the Reference Type from the drop down menu to match the citation you wish to add.For example, choose “Journal Article” or “Book”.Endnote Online will offer the appropriate information fields based on your choice of reference type.
3. Enter the information about your reference into each field.Fill in as much information as you know.It is all right to leave some fields blank if you don’t have the information. See the Tips below.
4. Create agroupandsave your reference to it.
Tips on Entering Fields
Enter the information about your reference into each field.Fill in as much information as you know.(It is all right to leave some fields blank if you don’t have the information.)
Author names -- enter as lastname, firstname
Enter multiple authors on separate lines
Enter the complete first name if you know it.If you have only initials for the first name, be certain to put a period & space between the initials. ex: White, Jason StanleyorWhite, J. S.
For corporate authors, put a comma after the entity ex: U.S. Department of Education,
For authors with titles, enter Last, First, Title. ex: Smith, John, Jr.
Titles -- Enter titles as you would for APA format. (Endnote will correctly capitalize words for MLA format, but cannot always remove capital letters for APA format.)
Journal Titles - Capitalize all major words in the journal title ex: Journal of Marketing
Article Titles - Capitalize first word, proper names, first word following a colon ex: History of supermarkets: Paper or plastic
Book Titles - Capitalize first word, proper names, first word following a colon ex: Charles Dickens: A history of 19th century literature
Years -- always enter 4 digits.Or use in press, n.d., etc, when appropriate.
Page ranges may be entered 1112-1119 or 1112-9.
Place Published -- For APA format enter the city and state abbreviation
New York, NY
Dates should be entered as you wish them to appear in your references.Endnote does not reformat dates! (May 10or Spring)
Labels -- a great field for entering your own keywords about an item.
Research Notes -- This text box at the bottom of the screen is great for your notes and comments about the item. If you are writing an annotated bibliography, Endnote will pull the content of this field for the annotation.
Sherrill Library | Lesley University, Brattle Campus | 89 Brattle Street - Cambridge, MA 02138 | 617-349-8850
John & Carol Moriarty Library | Lesley University, Porter Campus | 1801 Massachusetts Avenue - Cambridge, MA 02140 | 617-349-8070
Google Analytics Usage