Search for high quality digital images
Carrousel, Eugene Atget: 1923 / printed 1956 by Berenice Abbott from Atget's negative
Start with reference sources
Use reference sources to get background information on a photographer.
Having background information provides context for your research. If you can not find much by searching an artist's name, you might instead search by the techniques used, years at work or major art movements and eras.
Find photography books
Fenway Libraries Online
In addition to searching for an artist's name,
try these subject searches for books on the history of photography.
- Color photography--History.
- Documentary photography--History.
- Landscape photography--History.
- Fashion photography--History.
- Photography, Artistic--History.
- Photography--History--19th century.
- Photography--History--20th century.
- Photography--Printing processes--History.
- Photography--United States--History.
- Portrait photography--History.
- Street photography--History.
Bibliographies - yours and others
We cite so that authors and artists receive credit for their original scholarship.
Our AIB Library research help page has citation examples and tools to help you do this in your paper.
Be sure to look for bibliographies when reviewing books, articles or online sources about your topic. These will quickly lead you to relevant material which has already been vetted.